Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Getting Away

The month of April is almost over and yet it doesn't feel much like spring here in the Midwest. As I write this it is 6:15 am and it's a chilly 32 degrees. I am so ready for some warmer weather. And I will get it later tomorrow as I travel to San Diego to visit an old college friend. I'm so looking forward to a time to get away and relax with a dear friend while enjoying the southern California sun and beauty. In the midst of our rush, rush culture I find scheduling in times to get away and relax a must. Sometimes all that has to happen to get to such a time is very overwhelming as you try to get things in place for your family to survive while you're gone and cover the your responsibilities; but I've found that this extra stress is worth it for the refreshment I receive when I get away.

Getting out of my day-to-day element often gives me much needed perspective on life. There's a whole big world out there with many amazing opportunities and many unique, talented and needy people. God created an amazing array of beauty in his creation that you can sometimes miss when you get so acclimated to your surroundings in the area that you live that you fail to appreciate the majesty of his creative hand. I love traveling because it reminds me of the awesome power of God in the beauty of his creation.

Getting away also helps me to remember that I'm more than an autism mom. I'm a beloved daughter of the God of all creation; I'm a valued friend who is joyously expected; I'm a discoverer at heart who loves to explore new places and learn new things. Getting out of my daily rut helps me remember all that God has placed in my heart and mind and all the possibilities that are available to me. I'm so excited to have this short respite to rejuvenate and renew.

I encourage you all to seek out your own little respites, even if it's just taking a walk around a park or lake in your area, sitting out on your deck and enjoying the hopefully warmer weather, or turning on your favorite music and singing at the top of your lungs. And by all means if you can manage a trip to a favorite destination to visit a dear friend - make the time, I fully expect it will be worth my time and effort to get there.

No comments: