Thursday, January 6, 2011

Update from a Bad Blogger

It's been a busy few months in our house. Family life with 5 children is a perpetual circus act. Keeping all the balls in the air is a skill I have not yet mastered. There's always someone who needs something and fortunately usually several people who can help. Usually someone is fighting with someone else and I feel the need for a striped shirt and a whistle. I am thankful for a big house with numerous play areas to provide for much needed separation at times.

Here's a snapshot of fall at the Pedersens
  • End of August - first placement - whirlwind adjustment to family of 7
  • 4 family birthdays in 3 months - whew!!
  • Luke plays his 3rd season of soccer and Grandma & Grandpa come for a visit and get to see a game
  • Jenn gets away to Mom's Conference early Nov. for a bit of rejuvenating
  • Whole fam travels to NE for Thanksgiving to visit extended family
  • Stay home for Christmas, then take a trip to WI the week after for a little ski fun - complete with lodging in a little log cabin - so cute and cozy
As I enter the new year I resist the widespread trend of making resolutions and yet I find myself feeling the need for renewal and positive change. After purchasing a wii fit balance board I did my first workout in I don't know how long yesterday and today am really feeling it. I'm contemplating changing my eating patterns, but just not really sure what direction to go with that. Beyond the focus on addressing my physical health I am feeling the need for spiritual renewal. Motherhood reveals the depth of my character flaws on a daily basis. I am battling to not feel like a complete failure in life in general as I daily see my selfishness, impatience, and anger. But I must remind myself of the grace of God, for which I am so thankful.

On the autism front autism is in the news today. But really what is being reported is old news - over a year old. And what is being reported is less than truthful. Without getting into all of it I am feeling very disappointed and hopeless that truth will ever be exposed about the causes of autism. I am disheartened that my son struggles so greatly on a daily basis and that more and more children are diagnosed daily with this devastating disorder. As seems to be the trend the fall was tough for Seth and consequently for me. We are considering new treatment options after taking a break from the biomedical over the past year.

Well there's a bit of an update on life at the Pedersens. Perhaps I should make a resolution to be a better, more regular blogger, but we'll see !?!

No comments: