Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Journey of Marriage

Mike & I celebrated our 14th anniversary yesterday. Mike grilled steaks and made rice and roasted asparagus for us for dinner as I didn't get back from Ames until 6:30 - another autism therapy appointment - a constant in our lives. I was very impressed with this "gourmet" meal - and Mike was impressed with himself that he carried it off. Mike also was sweet to stop and pick up a pot of daisies at the store on the way home. The past 14 years have a certainly been much different than what we'd expected and yet here we are, still together, happy most days, and committed to staying together over the long-term - no matter what new challenge may present itself.

Early in our marriage we started saying something that has become a running joke - "we may grow old together old and miserable, but divorce is not an option". I think this has been a good mindset for us, albeit a little glum. We're hoping for old, happy and lovin' life - but we'll see. Regardless, we are committed to doing life together. In a culture where the divorce rate is at or above 50% (80% for families with kiddos with disabilities), I praise God for carrying us through. It is by His grace that we can continue to love each other and most days enjoy our life together.

There are definitely days when we drive each other crazy - me driving him crazy with my cooking, putting onions and garlic in way too many foods for his taste, and him driving me crazy by generally eating like a 3rd grader (Mike willing admits this). He's an engineer, and I'm a musician. We approach life with very different perspectives and yet I see how God has placed us together to bring balance to both of our lives and to make a great team to raise our 3 beautiful children.

Aside for the tension that is inevitable when people share their lives, I feel so blessed to be sharing my life with a wonderful Christian man who loves me and our kids and shows that love through his incredible servant-leadership in our home. He is a tremendous blessing in my life and is always ready to do what needs to be done. A couple years ago while I was struggling with severe back pain due to several bulging discs, he told me I was no longer allowed to do the laundry as this was something that always did my back in. And he's been the main laundry man in our house ever since. This is just one example of the servant heart he has.

Our marriage is far from perfect, but by the grace of God we've found a way to do life together in the midst of life's challenges with joy, laughter, and endurance. Endurance is probably #1 characteristic needed in any marriage and in life in general to walk the road God places before us and do so with the joy of the Lord. I continue to pray that God, by His grace will give us the perseverance and endurance to continue on, to run the race set before us and finish strong. I pray that for each of you also! God Bless!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Jenn and Mike, congratualations on your years of marriage; and thanks for your honest thoughts in this blog entry. We love you guys!
-Amy